Telemedicine sleep care platform expands business opportunities for Arizona healthcare providers and removes price and logistical barriers to those seeking diagnoses and treatment
BUFFALO, NY / ACCESSWIRE / April 8, 2021 / Ognomy, the complete sleep apnea care solution and app that launched fall 2020, is now available to Arizona medical practitioners and patients. The startup, which was a finalist in Global Wellness Institute’s Innovation Awards, is the only end-to-end virtual platform where sleep specialists can evaluate, diagnose, and treat patients all from the comfort of their homes. It is a potentially life saving tool for the estimated 25 million Americans suffering from the pervasive sleep disorder. And for Arizona providers exploring business growth opportunities, Ognomy allows them to add telemedicine to their existing practice, or to take their practice fully online. Ognomy is currently available for download in New York and Georgia and is soon to be available in Missouri, Pennsylvania, California and Florida.
Benefits for sleep sufferers:
- The HIPAA-compliant Ognomy app, available from the Apple App Store and Google Play, uses virtual consultations and a self-administered sleep study that removes the need for disruptive overnight stays at a sleep clinic
- Patients save about 75% off the typical cost of care, and it is covered by most major insurance plans, including Medicare and Medicaid. Time is saved, as Ognomy eliminates the need for multiple referrals, repeated office visits and the clunky transfer of medical and insurance information between providers
Benefits for Arizona’s medical practitioners:
- Direct integration with the Ognomy platform makes it easy for sleep care providers to either expand an existing practice or start one without an upfront investment
- Ognomy’s innovative digital technology improves schedule flexibility, support, logistics and efficiency for a practice whilst lowering its costs. It also allows providers to move beyond a brick-and-mortar setting to ensure virtual, remote access and availability to patients anywhere at any time
- Providers are not limited by geography in Arizona and can attract new patients throughout the state
Ognomy is the vision of founder and CEO Daniel Rifkin, MD, a New York-based sleep medicine specialist. His expansion into Arizona includes the introduction of Arizona-based sleep specialist Dr. Najma Usmani, MD to Ognomy’s roster of providers.
“Ognomy bridges the care gap for Arizonans who are concerned for their health but are not comfortable visiting or do not live near expert sleep specialists and traditional sleep centers,” said Rifkin. “Our process includes home-based sleep testing which has several advantages – people sleep better in their home environment, it’s less expensive, and we get relevant data, leading to faster sleep apnea diagnosis at a lower cost.”
Addressing the draw for providers, Rifkin added, “Arizonan sleep medicine professionals can extend their practice online or create an entirely virtual medical practice with the infrastructure Ognomy offers. It is an incredible opportunity to support patients, spark business growth, and create a flexible work schedule that benefits everyone.”
The dangers of untreated sleep apnea
Known as a “not-so-silent killer” due to its association with loud snoring, obstructive sleep apnea occurs when the muscles in the throat relax and close during sleep, which disrupts breathing. As a result, the body subconsciously wakes itself in an attempt to return breathing to normal. For many who suffer from sleep apnea, this pattern can be repeated hundreds of times in a single night. Left untreated, the sleep disorder can lead to a wide range of health complications, including increased risk of heart attack, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, liver problems, and accidents due to drowsiness or lack of concentration.
View source version on accesswire.com: